Since moving to the mountains squash has become a staple in my house. Not only is it super versatile and easy to prepare, but is full of fiber, vitamins, and antioxidants. It’s also super easy to make version of this dish for the kiddos. My 15 month old loves a bowl of just the squash, rice, and finely diced sausage. To mix things up try substituting the sausage for ground turkey or tofu.
1. Pre heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Cut squash in half lengthwise. Scrape out seeds and coat with 1 TBSP olive oil. Place squash face down in coated baking dish as bake for 45 minutes.
3. Dice onion and mushroom and lightly saute 3-4 minutes. Mix in rice and sausage.
4. Set 1/2 of the mixture to the side (baby’s dinner is ready!) and seasoning remaining portion to taste.
5. Fill squash with mixture and top with cheese if desired.
6. Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees.